Dec 4, 2004

There's paths, and there's PATHS.

In 1872, on this day, the U.S. Brigantine "Mary Celeste" was found drifting in the Atlantic Ocean between the Azores and Portugal. The ship was completely deserted-—the captain's table was set with an uneaten meal, and the lifeboat was missing. But there was only slight damage to the ship's rigging, and it's cargo of 1,700 barrels of alcohol was intact.

The mystery of how this ship came to be emptied, untouched, and adrift has never been solved. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, writing under a pseudonym, wrote a fictionalized account of the ship called "Marie Celeste."

It was the act of reading this tale when I was very young that got me interested in the paranormal, ghosties and ghoulies and lang-legged beasties, and naturally, horror stories, specifically Edgar Allen Poe. I can remember quite clearly begging my mother to buy me a small, hardbound volume of Mr. Poe's stories, and how it both utterly delighted and utterly terrified me.

So. Blame a curious circumstance surrounding an empty ship on why I am so f**ked up. *grin*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I remember reading that book. Or, some little blue paperback y'all got through the Weekly Reader book club (or some such) that had lots of stories of the 'strange but true' variety. I remember another one about some Indian (of the American variety) legend about a monstrosity that was so thin 'it could only be seen from the side'. I don't know why I remember that line in particular, but I do.

And the dancing skulls, of course. ;)

Your ole cuz, CM

Irrelephant said...

Dancing skulls ROXOR! *lol* And yeah, I think you've got it right...my memories that far back are, shall we say, "questionable."

And that Amerind horror creature? The Wendigo. *lol* Sad that I can remember that, but not what book I read it in.