Mar 23, 2005

Oh F

A chilling thought just settled into my sleep-deprived brain.

I'm gonna have to start getting up at 5:30 again if I want to accomplish ANYTHING in the mornings. See, my job is located about 7 minutes from my house. I could practically walk there, if I cared to walk on a four-lane highway, which I don't, thank you very much. But the option is there if I leave an hour early.

Getting sidetracked. That's what a night of nightmares and tossing/turning do for a man.

To allow myself time to get up, perform the Three S's (S**t, Shower, Shave,) get at least a modicum of brekkie, get the wee one up and headed to school, and get me off to work for a decent arrival time, PLUS do a little post here and read the coupla other blogs I read in the am, check email, do all the little things I do in the mornings, I'm gonna have to start getting up at 5:30 again.

Mind you, getting the body in the habit of that ungawdly hour is not so hard, all I have to do is perform the same ritual for a few weeks, and my body will adjust like an 1800's era Dutch friggate turning to a different course in high seas. It's done slowly, carefully, and with a great deal of cursing, creaking, and lashing with ropes. But, it's done. Or will be done, as soon as a few weeks pass.

So here I am, awake, showered and shaved and the other thing, I've checked my meagre serving of email, which as always contained the Word of the Day, Writer's Almanac, a monthly site report from Sitemeter for this slice of pie that is my blog, and then I ran a fast check of my bloglist, to be callously informed that no-one else in the entire WORLD whose blog I read has bothered to get up at 5:30 in the morning to post something so that those of us who are hungry for words will be satiated. Barstards, all of you. As a writer you are REQUIRED to suffer for your work. I sure as hell do.

Speaking of, I'm sure my co-editor on the Dada magazine Cornucopia has suffered enough. Justynn, I swear to you man, I'm working on it! Granted, if I speed up any more I might just break into a standstill, but I'm working on it. In fact, I got up this morning at 5:30 just so I could start work on the front page icons. No, really, see? Working! *tappa-tappa-tap tap tap tappa tap tappa* See? Keyboard! Honest!


Do you think he believed me?

3 comments:

tyger said...

why are you suffering for _my_ work? and if you readdy are why hasn't anything new shown up for a month?

tyger said...

hmmmm...

make that "really"

Irrelephant said...

I could suffer for your work, but I don't knit, and I'm not allowed to post on your site anyway. As for not suffering for you, am I not bringing a daybed over Sunday to install therein? I can promise you, having moved that thing several times now, suffering is going to be the operative term.