Mar 10, 2005

Once more into the breach

It's getting closer, and getting harder to bear.

The time slowly moves along, my lunch is good and heavy in my stomach, the cake they got me is sweet on my tongue (they got me a cake!) and I've had to say goodbye to two friends already. Verticles (in jokes, rhymes with Hercules, he's the guy who put the 'man' in 'Receiving Manager') went home at 4, and I cannot help but feel that I've taken his only real support system from him by leaving. He and I have spent many hours together, commiserating, griping, playing sounding board for each other, and in general doing what friends do for each other. He's in a bad way up there, and is ready to break. The problem being, he's the sole supporter of the family, and cannot leave unless he gets the same pay or better, and that's very hard in this town.

But, like he said when he walked up and shook my hand--I'm not leaving him, I'm leaving Office Depot, and he's a strong and resourceful guy. I hope only the best for him. And soon.

Good memories of OD:

  • Me and Verticles putting up furniture with the forklift
  • Unloading the truck in the mornings, with NPR playing on the radio
  • Being dragged behind the forklift when Verticles didn't know I was still wearing the safety belt
  • Sitting in the office and having my opinion heard about store operations
  • Walking out in the parking lot on a sunny day to get the carts
  • Helping old people, because they're almost always appreciative, and don't mind telling you 'thank you'
  • Being able to know so much about my job that even the managers come to me
  • Being able to walk and talk with syster when she comes in


Bad memories of OD:

  • Being dragged behind the forklift when Verticles didn't know I was still wearing the safety belt
  • Being slammed head-first into a light-fixture the time V. was driving the forklift and didn't hear me yell "STOP!"
  • Joe, who is a complete rat's turd and deserves nothing shy of pure s**t for a life
  • No longer getting the really sweet deals on damaged stuff

No comments: