Apr 29, 2005

Some yippee-skippee once said:

"Time is the fire in which we all burn."

I think I'm starting to understand why my father used to get up at 4 am every morning without fail. I used to think it was just his military training, and age, but the more I think about it, and the longer I live, the more I see that it's just a function of having not enough time to do the things you feel like doing.

Tempus. Time. Ah, sweet Time. I wonder sometimes what I leave behind that will "stand the test of Time." I listen to classical music during the day, when I'm at my desk doing paperwork or whatever. I love to listen to those soaring pieces, and it always makes me think--what music could possibly have that sort of staying power now. Somehow I don't see many Bubblegum Pop songs lasting 150 years. I don't imagine 50 Cent's birthday being celebrated with huge festivals when he turns 200. Performers simply don't seem to have that sort of power anymore.

I love the blues, too. The blues, as we all know, is just a good man feelin' bad. We all feel bad, we've all had the blues before, so that music resonates in our very spirits. I can see the blues lasting longer than most anything else, because of that resonance, that part of it that speaks to our inner natures. And one of the things that most appeals to me about the blues? Even if Brittney Spears were to suddenly have a drastic career change and become a blues singer she'd never make it--even if you've killed a man in Memphis you can't sing the blues if your name is "Brittney."

I really like listening to old Jazz, too. Like Patrick Star says, "I don't get Jazz," when it's the very cutting-edge stuff, all full of dissonance and noise. I guess I need a little more solid grounding in rythymn than all that hooting and hollering. The old Jazz, tho. The Dave Brubeck Quartet--that's Jazz. Music performed by guys in suits and pork-pie hats, with crew cuts, smoking a lot. If you want an instant introduction to good Jazz, listen to "Take Five." It'll make a believer out of you.

A good three-piece horn section is utterly marvelous. "And then the horns kicked in." Chicago would never have gotten as far as they did if they had left the brass section out of their music. Same for Gerry Rafferty. I won't talk about Herb Alpert And The Tijuanna Brass, but you get the drift. That sharp edge to all the soft muted edges of drums and strings--it seems to give the wasp it's sting.

And before any of you suddenly tune out, no, I'm not about to add a tinny little MP3 to my page. No, I care about you guys far more than all that. I sincerely promise you, on the respect that I hold for each and every one of you, even the ones I don't know, that if I were to go that route I'd post my home address and my cel phone number here, so that each and every one of you could come down here and line up one behind the other so you could all kick me in the head until I bleat.

No comments: