May 25, 2005

Fear of a blue planet

That sounds rather like it's going to be a post about oceans, but it's not. It's about wasps.

And unfortunately it's going to be a short post, because I seem to have spent most of my morning fiddle-farting around, trying to find a good picture or two of the wasp scientifically known as Chalybion californicum, or as I grew up knowing them, dirt daubers. But, being from the South and having our own way of doing things, you might just know them as blue wasps, or mud daubers, or mud wasps, or "Aaaaaaaaugh it's a wasp killitkillitkillit!"

And that's what I'm getting at. Killing things. And more specifically, the two opposite stands I often take on killing, which sometimes tears me up inside, because I can't seem to find a black or white square to stand on, it's all bloody shades of grey, and while I like grey a lot (grey is the new black, so says Fox Mulder) there are really, seriously, times when I wish I had noir-vision. White, black, that's it. No hazy areas, no indifferent places, no spots where it's just not really either.

But I digress. As usual.

So for now, two pictures, large ones, and maybe mid-afternoon when things get quiet at work I'll have to bust up with some soul-searching angst.

Black and Yellow Dirt Dauber

Chalybion californicum, or the Blue Wasp.

1 comment:

Vulgar Wizard said...

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!! It's a crotch rocket, killitkillitkillit!!!!!