Jul 13, 2005

So where do we go from here?

See, I lost my map, and the indigenous lifeforms aren't all that helpful with directions, and that gay pirate matre'd won't tell me where I need to be.

I did some blog-cleaning this morning. After The Three S's, my morning ritual, I sit down with a big glass of iced tea and whatever junk I might want for breakfast, and I surf a series of blogs that I follow with regularity. This morning I did the same, but with a twist--I did a little deep thought on what I was not all that impressed with anymore and erased them from my Favourites list, thereby freeing up some time in the am for me to...well, to blog, actually. There's now about 6 that I go to regularly, since they have content that interests me, or because they update with a fair regularity. The rest? Kicked to the curb.

The one that held position tho it hasn't been updated since sometime in March? William Gibson's blog. It must be nice being a writer of the caliber of William Gibson. Old boy stops blogging, I assume long enough to write another book, and his blog traffic still stays up in the thousands of hits a day, mostly because of fanboys like myself who check there every morning for another post, like a crack addict looking for that one dirty little rock that he knows fell under the couch cushions last year.

Sad I know, but at least I admit to it, and admitting you have a problem is half the battle, right? The other half is keeping the rest of the world from knowing you have a problem.

Boy, I've sure blown that one, haven't I.

You know what really interests me? We discussed this a little bit yesterday. People's ability to fool themselves. Being the flip side of being able to mentally fool ourselves to help is the ability to fool ourselves to either hinder or, perhaps, lead to total destruction.

How many people live day to day with the firm belief that they are important, that they are cared for, who in reality mean nought? Of the billions and billions of people that litter this globe, how many would have to be removed before the ripple started affecting other people? And yes, I've read Ray Bradbury's "A Sound of Thunder" about a thousand times, and while I like the idea of a butterfly's death affecting the entire outcome of the known universe the rational part of me believes that it would take a lot more than that to really make things change, and the joy of that is that even if things DID change, Mankind being a creature who only lives in one direction on the time stream could't see the changes that did or did not take place, unlike Bradbury's chrononauts, so it doesn't really matter now, does it?

To go further, how many people think themselves into non-existance? And I don't mean Rene Descartes sits up in bed one morning and his wife asks him what he's thinking about, and he says "Nothing, really" and he dissapears in a puff of logic. No, I'm thinking about the people who, either with the basis of fact or belief suddenly believe and understand on a cellular level that they no longer mean anything to anyone. What happens then? One of two things, I would assume. 1) They die, either on the spot or sometime thereafter, in the old 'I've given up living' sort of way, or 2) which is the fantasy version, they somehow attain a sort of altered state of consciousness that propels them far beyond the scope of normal space and time, and they can freely move up and down the flow of time to right wrongs and save small children from burning buildings.

Yeah, I think #1 is it, too.

And another thing--is this how serial killers think? I wonder how many of them remove people from life with the sure and certain knowledge that the person they're removing has no effect on life?

Damn I'm dark this morning. Maybe it's the constant run-up to a huge storm that we get every afternoon, which never quite seems to arrive. It's like really needing to sneeze, and huffing and snorting right up to the moment and then...nothing. I've got too much antici---(Say it! Consti-)---pation and not enough delivery.

Nah. I'm just a dark Irrelephant with too much time on his trunk and an overactive imagination unhindered by a lot of brains and stuff.

3 comments:

Old Grey Mare said...

I think that there is only one word that can truly discribe you Mr. Irrelephant............
...........DEEP!

way over my head... grey brain cells are a little slow today.*S*

Regal Monkey said...

Even when you personally berate yourself for being too dark or too introspective, I think the posts where you wander that way are my favorites... you know me, though... this is where we are most similar. It is something, though, natural... that can't be forced, else I'd request more...

Vulgar Wizard said...

"the people who, either with the basis of fact or belief suddenly believe and understand on a cellular level that they no longer mean anything to anyone. What happens then? One of two things, I would assume. 1) They die, either on the spot or sometime thereafter, in the old 'I've given up living' sort of way, or 2) which is the fantasy version, they somehow attain a sort of altered state of consciousness that propels them far beyond the scope of normal space and time, and they can freely move up and down the flow of time to right wrongs and save small children from burning buildings."
It's #1 for most folks with the exception of the first half of #2 being reserved for RMB, you see. We both know she would not right wrongs or save anyone from anything burning (especially if their names are in her freezer). She quite obviously floats around in an altered state of conciousness and thinks she's propelled somewhere other than the office, but we all know that we wouldn't miss her if she left, right?