Oct 6, 2005

Some Days You're The Bug,

And some days you're the windshield.

It's been one of those fast-forward weeks. I sit here in absolute surprise and alarm that it's already Thursday. I don't know where the week has gone--I have flicker-flash images of things done, days spent at work, days spent doing this or that, but I cannot believe, even stringing them all together, that it's already Thursday, the end of the week for me, thanks to the boss' fuel-saving four day work week, and thank heavens for that.

Speaking of disbelief, I'm still surprised that "Lost" has sucked me in so fiercely. My mum-in-law mentioned it yesterday; shock that Irrelephant, he who just about loathes all things coming from the Square Headed Girlfriend could be so intrigued and attached to a *gasp choke* television show. It's true. I hang my head in shame. *lol* I guess it's the mystery, the joy of solving little puzzles only to be handed bigger ones, and the slow unfolding of the back stories that draws me in. I can't help it, I'm hooked.

And I knew I saw a hexagram on that shark's tail. I knew it. I knew it so well that last night I thought I was going crazy and hallucinating things.

So much to do, so little time. That's the tone this week has taken. I don't think it's so much the loss of one day, it's just the way work gets occasionally, and it's time to buck up and finish, so I can come in bright and early Monday morning to face...an in-box full of stuff again. Which is a good thing. I'd far rather be busy than have nothing to do.

The cold is coming, the cold is coming. Finally. There's a cold front pushing down from the Northwest, and boy am I thankful for it. The highs tomorrow are supposed to be around 70, the lows in the evening a delicious 50 something. Ooooh my heavens I am so ready. Ready to break out the riding pants, which can be worn without risking dehydration from sweat. Ready for long-sleeved shirts. Ready for the crisp smell of the air in the morning. Ready, even, for days so cold that working outside makes your cheeks feel all crinkly. I'm even ready to deal with the aching joints and the stiff fingers. It's all good.

I know this entry is a little scattershot...okay, a LOT scattershot, but again, that's how the week has gone for me. Seems I look up and days have past without me noticing. I think one of the big factors was simply being BUSY, busier than usual. I don't have time to pick my head up from work and home chores long enough to realise that hours have passed, and simply immerse myself in the tasks at hand until I hear the Bird Clock in RMB's office hoot 5pm, and then it's home for a few hours of family and then sleep. It's a good feeling, being busy.

I wonder if Zen is like that--the living in the moment aspect of it. Staying busy by living each second, and the weeks sliding by like water under a bridge. Time travel via mental discipline. Who would have thunk it?

4 comments:

Vulgar Wizard said...

Since you're off tomorrow and I have to work, I decided to let RMB have the day off as well. She can have my "fuel day" and leave me the hell alone.

You know, most people would jump on a "free" day off. Not her. "I don't want to leave you short handed." Oh, go away. You are in no way a hand to me now; if you're absent tomorrow, I don't have to look at you.

:)

Vulgar Wizard said...

By the way, I'm coming out to your place earlier than the party starts on Saturday so I can use your Internet connection and watch What Not To Wear reruns.

Irrelephant said...

Roger that.

Vulgar Wizard said...

Hey, what gives!?!?!?! You're off today, and you can't find time to blog? Well, you just suck!

ixfsl