Dec 30, 2005

Irrelephant Has A Face For Radio

And if I had a brain I'd likely take it out and play with it.

I was thinking this morning, which is always a dangerous profession for me, but there you go; I've never been known for my forethought. I was thinking about the Internet, and my place thereon, and a lot of other things. I was thinking about blogging, specifically, and manistream recognition.

For those of you not familiar with Blogger, their front page lists a "Blogs of Note" section, whereupon some unknown body of reviewers at Blogger have picked and listed a blog that they found interesting. Naturally that kind of exposure drives that blog's traffic right through the roof, so it's a nice place to be. And of all the blogs that I've found there I've never really found one that caught my interest enough to visit more than once or twice. I simply don't see the attraction, unless that many people have that bad of taste, which would quite frankly not come as a surprise. There are several well-known blogs out there which I found quite by accident, both of which have remarkably failed to impress me. Both seem to win awards and attain the attention of newspapers and in both cases, their home nations. Both are well-written but quite frankly I don't see the attraction. They're not all that, if you know what I mean.

And yes, you're right, I'm bitching about a lack of recognition of my own humble little site. Don't get me wrong, I know I have a small loyal group of readers, and let me tell you right now that you guys are the only reason I write regularly--I know you're out there, I know you're reading and enjoying, and as such I owe you my best efforts. Unfortunately sometimes my best efforts aren't as comical as I'd like them to be, and sometimes I can be quite maudlin, as you guys no doubt well know. It's been a strange week, thus my writing has been affected.

My bitching was prompted by appearing on the radio this morning. I listen to the local bubble-gum-pop station on Friday mornings because they play 80's and early 90's music for about two hours, and this morning I called in a request which not only got aired but got my recorded request on the air, too. And without going into it too deeply, let's just say that years of personal hyperawareness and self criticism have made me sharpen and hone certain parts of me, such as my voice. My telephone and salesman voices are clear and carefully enunciated, what I like to think of as my 'radio voice.' It's also rather patently fake, but hey, that's the breaks. So it was with some amusement that I heard my radio voice on the radio this morning, requesting "One Night In Bangkok" by Murray Head. Craziness.

I'm no longer sure where I was going with all this, but it had something to do with what I think sometimes is a long string of missed opportunities. Somehow I simply cannot seem to hit that stride, that certain road that takes you to the main highway. There is a tiny bit of me that has always been mildly displeased that I live a life of quiet obscurity, even while the rest of me seems to crave that very obscurity.

Man what a horrible post! Okay, I'm stopping right here, I'll come back later and see if I can't get you guys something better. No wonder you're dropping like flies!

2 comments:

Vulgar Wizard said...

So you were on the radio, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

Irrelephant said...

I'll kick you right in the rocking chair.