Mar 15, 2006

The Things They Don't Tell You In Microsoft School

I know this is not going to be a big eye-opener for a lot of people out there, but I know it will be for some, and so here is a little fun thing you can do with your blog/website and your favourite search engine.

I've always been of the opinion that people like HP and Dell and Microsoft are assholes because they won't tell us entirely how to use their machines. Granted, knowing entirely how to use your machine would probably take a manual the size of Saturn and a lifetime of training classes, but I've always disliked how so much information about you and your computer has to be gleaned from drunk friends, helpful if vague websites and pure random "oops I just deleted my D drive" luck. I've spent a lot of time telling people cool little things to do with their computers, so here's one for the few folks who read here.


  • Go to your favourite search engine--I'm assuming it works everywhere, I know for a fact it works on Yahoo! and Google.
  • Type in (without the quotation marks) "link:" and then a web address that you'd like information as to who links to it on. I know, that's strange sentence structure. Try this--


Going to Google and typing in "link:http://www.irrelephant.blogspot.com" on the search bar shows me a list of every page that links to my site. Kinda cool, it's interesting, and you get to see folks who have linked to you whom you might not have known about otherwise.

Thus endeth Step One of the tearing down of the Gigantic Wall Of Esoteric Knowledge that our enemy the computer lives behind.

2 comments:

Vulgar Wizard said...

Wow, I'm pretty lame; it seems that only YOU and SproutWorks Blog Directory contains 1887565 blogs - Viewing are linking to me at present, according to Google.

Oh, wait, Yahoo shows 5 other links to me:
Shoutbox (?)
renegade (thanks, M.)
I Talk To Much
The Impulsive Buy (probably because of my comments)
Tantrums http://www.bigbaby.com/tantrums.html

Irrelephant said...

Tantrums, eh? Hmmmm.