Apr 16, 2006

Ether Tidings

Another Ether has passed. Did Peter Cottontail come to your house, anaesthetise you and do terrible things to you with brightly-dyed eggs?

Why am I the only person in the world he does that to?

So this festival with it's roots deeeep in pagan practices is to celebrate the rebirth of the world after winter's harsh mittens have been released. To be quite frank with you, in Louisiana winter's mittens never got much further than a cold hand on the back of the neck, and Spring has been sprung, with Summer well on it's way, but that's just us. The rest of you guys are still considering where you want to plant your gladiolus bulbs while mine are ready to start blooming.

So with THOSE thoughts in mind, let's take a look at spring at la casa du Irrelephant with some pictures that will be of interest only to me and about three other people. YAY!

Here we have the Official Irrelephant Family Victory Garden. That's the view from just behind The County Seat, which was formerly the big block of wood that used to ride around on the back of the cultivator but which fell off during a particularly hairy left-hander and was pushed across the pasture to where it now sits because it is so freaking heavy. It makes for a nice place for me to sit and puke my guts out because I've been slaving away behind a hot Garden Weasel for a row or two.

Physical I ain't.

And this is my pride and joy--one of the grapes of the Irrelephant Vineyards. I'm told that this single little 20" tall vine (which used to be one of three but I had to prune it which was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my life) is to become the trunk (get it? An elephant reference!) for a grape vine which will, I am hoping:


  • Produce luscious fruit after four years of careful pruning and cultivating, and
  • Have roots reaching down into Hell to steal water from dead men's tongues


That last one I can't really prove, I just read it somewhere and really liked the sound of it. Me, I'll be happy if they produce roots that reach to Limbo and share the water cooler with whoever else happens to be there.

There's two more pictures of the other grape vines, but I think it's probably like showing pictures of your kids to other people--they'll look at them but only to be polite to you and so they can have a chance to show you pictures of THEIR kids.

So go on, show me a picture of your juvenile grape vine. I'll bet you that my grapevine can whip your grapevine's butt. (My Thompson's Seedless Green grapevine is an honor student, btw.)

6 comments:

Autumn said...

I can show you my baked goods. That's all I've got. My cats ate or dug up all my flowers.

Irrelephant said...

Mmmmmmmm...baked goods.

I'm terribly afraid that I would sell my immortal soul (if I had one) for a loaf of freshly-baked bread.

OLD GREY MARE said...

That freshly baked bread can be had @ the Holsom Bread Plant about 1 mile from my front door. Congrats on your Victory Garden as well as your greap vineyard. I have a oersentant fig tree that I'm trying to discourage growing.....

**NEIGH**

Vulgar Wizard said...

I've got plenty of poison ivy I'd be glad for you to take off my hands . . . and my arm . . . and my knee . . .

Nancy Dancehall said...

I'm hoping my garden doesn't freeze to death tonight.

Irrelephant said...

Freeze? As in "cold?" I miss cold. It was 94 here yesterday, and promising to be in the very high 80's today.

I hate semi-tropical.