Apr 7, 2006

Should I Stay Or Should I Go?

Ah, what a week it's been, but today, today was the lemonade in the lemon downpour. Lemme 'splain.

I won't get into it, but the Georgia trip for work was a nightmare, and put me both physically and mentally on the down-side for the week.

Add to that the fact that there's been a convicted carjacker/murderer loose in the area since late Wednesday and that the local hick town police department had him on a routine stop and let him go, not realising that he WAS the escapee, and it's all been a huge source of fear and concern and, yes, stupidity and bellowing around the area.

You may well remember from previous posts that Fridays are one of my favourite days at work, because one of the local radio stations plays 80's hits from 8-10, and I always call in to request something in a round-about/joking manner, and it bugs the ever-loving trash out of one half of the morning duo of Ron & Riley. I say it bugs him, but from an email I got from him a month or so ago I know he enjoys it because I'm not one to just call in and say "Hey, play _____" and hang up; I engage him (and Riley too) in my little mind game, or to phrase it as VW did, I "throw him a bone."

And a game it is, but it's a necessary game for me, because Ron and Riley are two of the many whetstones upon which I can keep my mind sharp, and for that I am grateful. The gene for Alzheimer's Disease is in my family, so I feel that everything I can do to take care of my mind helps. So...

This morning I called in right after what had been a morning-long pissing contest on the radio concerning the escapee vs the PD, and I was tired of the finger pointing and such, so my request was David Bowie's "Let's Dance." I was going to make a long, convuluted joke about the Georgia trip, the pre-conference evening of drinking and dancing and my own advanced whiteness preventing me from going on the dancefloor where all the pretty girls were, but I made the mistake of calling Ron out on a joke he had made earlier, playing a song by The Police as a joke on the whole convict thing. And off we went. *lol*

He called ME out on my usual modus operandi, cut right through my rambling joke by demanding that I just tell him what I wanted to hear, and we had a tremendous laugh over it which made me feel great. Then he played the entire conversation on the radio with them both taking a few digs at me, as well as remarking on how much they enjoyed the interaction with me. What they didn't know was that I had spent the time between calling in and hearing myself on the radio writing an email to Riley titled: Top 5 Songs Ron & Riley Can't Play This Morning. When Riley got it she jostled Ron's elbow, and they went back on about me after playing my request, letting Riley read the email aloud, with a lot of comments about my emailing them in the mornings and my habit of being as obtuse as possible.

I think this morning was the first time in a very long time I have laughed until I almost cried. It was a combination of joy over being on the radio, hearing Ron & Riley admit on the radio how much they both enjoy me calling in, and just sheer happiness that it's a beautiful Friday morning, Blue Jean Day here at work, and the knowledge that the weekend is very near and promises to be beautiful for working with my roses.

Ron continued playing the 'relevant' songs about the convict, including my Number 1 song from the email, so without further ado, and with the help of Ron & Riley, The Q Morning Crew/Flashback Friday DJs, I present for your education and elucidation:

The Top 5 (Now Extended To 12) Songs Ron & Riley Can't Play This Morning:


12) Duran Duran - Notorious
11) Howard Jones - No One Is To Blame
10) Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
9) Bon Jovi - Wanted (Dead Or Alive)
8) Paul Young - Every Time You Go Away
7) U2 - I Still Can't Find What I'm Looking For
6) Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal
5) Toto - Stranger In Town
4) REO Speedwagon - Take It On The Run/Time For Me To Fly/Don't Let Him Go (blame Riley for all three of those!)
3) George Michael - Freedom
2) A Flock Of Seagulls - And I Ran (I Ran So Far Away)

And the No. 1 Song That Ron And Riley Can't Play This Morning:

The Pretenders - Back On A Chain Gang

1 comment:

Vulgar Wizard said...

The day is quickly approaching wherein you will be part of one of those quicky clips used to advertise "Ron & Riley in the morning."