May 24, 2006

Grow It, Show It, Long As I Can Grow It

Yes, I'm making reference to a Cowsills song. It's my blog, and I can do folk songs if I want to.

The current trend in male coiffure seems to be turning toward the "bald is beautiful" bumper sticker set. More and more men I know, men who ordinarily sport full heads of hair are going to the shear and razor set, and breaking out the skull wax.

Why?

That is to say, what makes trends like that happen? The vagarities of fashion trend and current style have always been so alien to me, like some foreign language whose consonants don't quite line up right, sounds and words that have always, for me, fallen on my tin ear (lost my real one in in a bar fight in the 80's, all they had handy was a keg funnel, and I liked it so much I kept it.)

So, having the fashion sense of a clam on a bicycle I think I'm going to grow mine out again.

There's several things weighing against my decision however, things that I recall from the halcyon days of my youth. I remember endless hours spent letting it air dry, because if I blow-dried it it would explode in giant frizzies. The endless maintenance is one of the down sides. Having to ponytail and tuck it into my helmet was another grievance of mine, being a motorcycle rider. Tangles and knots are the first result of riding with it loose.

I could sit here all morning listing pros and cons of having long hair again, but I think I'll just close with this:

Bugger 'em if they can't take a joke.

8 comments:

Vulgar Wizard said...

There is no mention of the length of men's hair in our dress code policy. The only thing listed is "Hair will be clean, neatly combed, out of the face and field staff must wear hair off the shoulder." Hmmm...

THE OLD GREY MARE said...

I think that you would be very distinguished looking with your hair long again. I remember how you used to love it long. And that is as they say is all I have to say on the subject.

**NEIGH**

Nancy Dancehall said...

Off the shoulder?
You could grow a beehive. That would be off the shoulder.
Me, I keep telling O to buzz his off.

Vulgar Wizard said...

Heheheheheeheheeheeheheheehehehe *gasp* heheheheeheheheheehheehehehehehe . . . sorry, just picturing him with a beehive.

Caffeinated Mommy said...

OOh oh oh! He could get the hairstyle like the beehive, except leave the middle open, and then he could put stuff in it! That would be awesome! And if you put your wallet in there, I bet no one would try to steal it!
I'm just sayin'.

Irrelephant said...

Oh. My. God. Have you people taken leave of your senses? *lol*

Although, I DID always like looking at Yeoman Rand on the original Star Trek, and SHE had a beehive, and was utterly foxy. Hmmmm...

the ivory pen said...

I would love to see that streak again.

Nancy Dancehall said...

You're assuming some of us had sense to begin with.

(Psssst....VW; send me a photo of Ir and I'll photoshop a beehive on him! Our little secret!)