May 21, 2006

Southern Boys Will Survive

Except that I haven't been a "boy" for a very long time now. Even when I WAS a boy. And I dislike country music. So the title is completely appropos but annoying. *shrug* What was I to do?

There are certain things that every Southern Man is expected to know how to do, even if they don't do it for a living, a hobby, or a sport. They include but are not limited to


  • Huntin'
  • Fishin'
  • Shootin'
    • Varm'nts
    • Squirrel
    • Deer
    • That damn neighbor's dawg
    • Everything Else
  • Farmin'
  • Spittin'

Anyway, the list goes on.

Today, depending on how you look at it, I either earned a Southern Man merit badge, added to my Skill Set, or I got 'er dun. Your choice, all are applicable.

I've already earned Elder Status in Runnin' Th' Tractor, which includes Bushhoggin', Road Drivin', Rowin' Up Gardens, Pullin' Stumps, Stretchin' Bob Wire (actual Southern pronunciation,) and most importantly, Gettin' Cars Outta Ditches With Th' Loggin' Chain. And today I polished up an old skill in a new type of agricultural knowledge: Box Bladin'.

Long story short, our parking lot at work is gravel. It's location by the interstate makes it a good place for big trucks to turn around in, and they do so, and dig huge ruts in the gravel and clay substrate very easily. Petron (our landlords) are supposed to lay concrete for us, but knowing how fast they are that'll be two years from now.

So, being a buck-stopping sort of guy, I loaded the tractor up with the box blade, hooked the trailer to my freshly-running-well Rita, and hauled the lot to work. Where I fixed the lot. Nice and level, and I even scalped the huge piles of loose gravel that tires throw up which are extremely detrimental to motorcyclists, namely ME. And it was easy. Or at least several tries at it prior to this morning laid the (excuse the pun) groundwork for box blading gravel and dirt well. And I did it well. Made me quite proud, if I do say so myself. I actually felt like I earned the pay I charged for today's work.

So now I guess I need to keep working on my Spittin'. There's liable to be a couchon de lait any day now, and I need to be prime on my spittin' and beer holdin' skills.

3 comments:

Vulgar Wizard said...

Couchon de Lait was two weekends ago . . .

Vulgar Wizard said...

See, this is how I know you've been working today, because you haven't updated your blog four times on Monday. *g*

Vulgar Wizard said...

See, this is how I know you've been working today, because you haven't updated your blog four times on Monday. *g*