May 5, 2006

What Are You Gonna Do With Your Life?

I wanna rock.

I've always envied the people who seem to get good jobs and just stay there until they retire. You know the kind of person I'm talking about, I'm sure--the old guy at the Post Office who was there when they poured the foundation, or that guy who has worked at the local hardware store since he was knee high to a ten penny nail. The guys who always work dilligently but not too quickly, who always seem to put in a full days work and never get angry, never have a bad day. And suddenly you're attending their retirement party and they've plans to buy a two hundred foot long yacht and live off the coast of Brazil until they die.

I've never been one of those people.

I can't seem to find a job that I can be genuinely comfortable at, a job whose supervisors and employees are ALL hard working, fun-loving, and fair. A job that challenges me, that gives me hope for the future. A job where I can stay, where I can feel welcome all the time, where I can make a good living for me and my family AND have a modiicum of fun.

Do these jobs not exist? Monster.com seems to think so, as do most of the temp agencies in town, or at least that's what their advertisements seem to be telling me, but I think that it must have a lot more to do with my own attitude than the job.

I could be wrong, too.

So who do I have to blow to find this job? Why can't I just be one of those guys who goes to work, keeps his head low, doesn't make any sort of a stir, does his eight a day/five a week, draws a paycheck and somehow ends up as plant manager of the second largest creosote manufacturing plant in the state, drawing a six figure income and driving a huge armoured car of an SUV to bring the kids to soccer practice? Where was the line for that? Did I miss the memo?

I've always been one to pull hard, to be THE engaged employee, the one who takes ownership of the problem and of the company. I always thought I was an HR director's wet dream. I try my best, and yes, I like to screw off, but not always, not hardly, but dang, I know when it's time to work, and I know how to give it my all.

I guess I'm still waiting for someone to work for who will give ME their all.

2 comments:

Nancy Dancehall said...

No, see that's the problem. You're TOO good. They never advance the folks who know what they're doing, only the ones who will fuck up the entire company if they don't move them into a nice, pointless upper management job.

But you're on the right track with the blow jobs. Blow jobs get you noticed.

Now, back down into my dark pit I go.

Vulgar Wizard said...

So am I, Irr, so am I. *sigh* Very well put.

Whoa! My word verification is "rsholy".