Jun 23, 2006

3:00 Friday Afternoon And Counting

Pain can make a day pretty long, can't it.

I've had a bad back since 7th grade, as I recall, or thereabouts. I was free-lifting weights in P.E., pretty much unsupervised since the coach was a lazy piece of donkey's ass, and when I went to straighten up under a 225 pound squat my right knee gave out, the weight came down just like a hot air balloon doesn't, and I did some terrible things to most of my joints. This has, over the course of years, been a regular thorn in, well, my backside. Here of late I've learned how to be careful and not do things that exacerbate the problem, but sometimes I simply can't forsee every eventuality.

For instance: I managed some clever trick by which I slept pretty well in Florida in this giant, overstuffed bed that felt like someone had replaced the mattress with a huge feather comforter. When I slept on my back my body was bent in a "V" like you see the old people on the Craftmatic Adjustable (Hospital) Bed commericals, except I wasn't smiling all that much. I mean, I slept, and most times slept pretty good, but I would wake up each morning with a mild backache. Ordinarily a soft bed utterly kills me.

So upon returning to my own, rather firm mattress, I woke up Wednesday morning with the most astonishingly bad backache I've had in months. Crippling pain, and I'm not just saying that. And what really gets me about that is that I have no earthly idea what I did to myself to earn this misery. The second half of this week has been an adventure in Tiger Balm, heating pads, and tons of asprin, Tylenol, and Doans. It's finally getting bearable, and I'm on my knees (with pain) hoping that by the weekend I can function with some sort of ability, rather than creeping around hunched over to the right like an upside down question mark, my body's answer to trying to avoid pain. The garden looks bad, the yard looks worse, and the chores are racking up like a pool shark at a YMCA.

And it's taken me half an hour to write this little chunk because I've been trying to wrap up the week's work for the weekend so there won't be a mountain awaiting my Monday morning, so I guess I'd better scat.

Have a great weekend, guys and dolls!

3 comments:

Nancy Dancehall said...

Ow! Poor you. Have a better weekend, will ya?

Vulgar Wizard said...

Hunker down, old man! Get the Ben-Gay! Get the Doans! Get thee to a nunnery!

Autumn said...

Muscle relaxant?

I feel for you. I hate the mornings where you wake up, and you're like WHAT DID I DO??

As we saw amongst the pained, "gentle hugs*