Jul 29, 2006

This Ought To Be Weird

I seem to have been tagged by none other than the one, the only, Des Moines Girl. Well, I'm assuming there's more than one girl in Des Moines, but this is The Des Moines Girl.

1. One book that changed your life:
Oh yes, let's start out with an easy one. I think the book that most impressed me the first time I read it was Ray Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451". I read it while I was still quite young, maybe 10 or so, and loved it as science fiction. I've since read it, oh, I'm sure thirty or forty times since, and each time it strikes me just as hard as it did the first time. It's rare for a book to seriously disturb me, but Fahrenheit does it.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
See above. Also, Phillip K. Dick's "Blade Runner, or, Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep," most of Dr. Asimov's fiction, all of Heinlein's books at least five times, Sir A. C. Doyle's Sherlock Holmes canon, all of Franz Kafka's stories, Bradbury's "Something Wicked This Way Comes," along with the rest of his corpus, Gene Wolfe's Torturer series, all of William Gibson's books, all of Neal Stephenson's works, a fair bit of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe series, most all of the Lovejoy series by Jonathan Gash, Terry Pratchett's Discworld books, Norman Spinrad's "The Void Captain's Tale," all of Tolkein's masterpieces, and oh the list goes on and on. Neither you nor me have time to read it all. Heh...that's a pun, kinda.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
Marcel Proust's "In Search Of Lost Time/Remembrance Of Things Past" I'd like to have a good reason to read that entire magnificient beast, and the time to really dig into it deep.

4. One book that made you laugh:
"The Long Dark Tea Time Of The Soul," by Douglas Adams. Marvelous good stuff.

5. One book that made you cry:
Had to be Bradbury's "Something Wicked This Way Comes." His writing resonates in me so deeply, so thoroughly that when I'm through with it I weep because I've lost those golden days of my childhood, when I ran everywhere I went and everything was still new and bright and unsullied.

6. One book that you wish had been written:
"The Definitive Guide To The Human Spirit, with colour pictures." Or, Adolph Hitler's "Why I Done It."

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
I don't know that I could wish non-existance on a book, even if it's horrid.

8. The book you are currently reading:
"The Complete Works of H. G. Wells." Bought it in hardcover at Waldenbooks for $5, and have been immersing myself in some of the most wonderful Victorian science fiction I have ever enjoyed.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
Good lord...not just one. "Meaning And Nothingness," all of the big classics like "War And Peace" and "Moby Dick" and "Great Expectations," and oh lord...too many...head hurts...going to explode...

10. Now tag five people:
Bored Housewife,
The Ivory Pen,
Vulgar Wizard,
Leesepea and
Mickey Glitter!

6 comments:

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Thanks for playing! You named some great books! I've always thought you can learn a lot about someone by the kind of books they read...

...that and snooping in their medicine cabinet...

...which is something I have never done...

...and will never do...

Irrelephant said...

I'm just glad I don't have a medicine cabinet. A medicine CLOSET, however...

Vulgar Wizard said...

Dude, I've read like five real books. I can't believe you tagged me with this. I'm going to have to think now. *sigh*

leesepea said...

Hmmm...

I don't like being tagged!

I'll have it up by the end of today.

*Wink*

Mickey Glitter said...

Throw that book as hard as you can.

(Translated: Mine's been posted!)

kate5kiwis said...

hey chick,
saw ya tagged at des moines girl, loved your answer to number six..