Aug 31, 2006

Taking A Trip? Have A Nice Fall!

Fall, in her orange and yellow cloak has been creeping around the state, and I for one am glad to see her.

All of yesterday we had a steady north wind blowing down the dry soybean field, rattling the beans in their dry husks, pushing cars down the interstate toward the city. I kept finding reasons to be outside yesterday, so that I could stand turned into the wind, loving the feel of nature on my face.

Have you ever noticed a dog suddenly turn their face into the breeze, half close their eyes and start scenting the air, as though their sight were detracting from that esoteric message the zephyr was bringing their twitching damp noses? I knew how those dogs felt yesterday. Feeling the cool breeze on my cheeks, I closed my eyes to keep the sights from distracting me from the promise of cool mornings, crisp leaves underfoot, the sharp tang of northern breezes. I could smell cold afternoons, warm under my coat, boots crunching brown grass, and the warm barnyard smell of animals in a barn, chewing on sweet hay, their breath senting the air with clover and the promise of a return to Spring. I could smell creeping tendrils of cold air threading their way into my helmet vents, making me shiver with delight under my heavy leather jacket.

Fall is coming. The Farmer's Almanac is promising a very cold, very hard winter (for us, at least, here in the south,) but I'm not worried about that yet. Right now I have my face resolutely turned toward Fall's steady approach, ready to greet her with open heart and welcoming smile.

6 comments:

Autumn said...

My body is ACHING for that. I'm going to have to hit up the mountains soon. I NEED fall.

Nancy Dancehall said...

Feels good, doesn't it? The mornings up here have been cool, and the leaves are just beginning to turn.

Anonymous said...

My sentiments exactly Paul!

~ autumn (that is grant)

Caffeinated Mommy said...

I know, the weather has been awesome lately. Ashlyn likes being outside, and now we can actually play outside in the mornings for longer than five seconds b/c the girl sweats like I don't know what.

Irrelephant said...

Autumn: Mountains? Oh, that'd be those lovely tall things that we don't get hereabouts! I think the highest point in LA is this little hill, something like 400' over sea level. All of New Orleans went there when it flooded.

Nancy: I'm an utter sucker for Fall weather. Cotton picking, the Pecan Festival, and getting to wear riding leathers again! YAY!

Guido: Thank you again for the mention in your blog! Keep writing, I'll keep reading.

Hannibal: You know as well as I that living here means you're gonna sweat, irregardless.

Vulgar Wizard said...

So THAT's where you were all day yesterday! I was beginning to wonder about you. Everytime I looked over at your desk, some other person was seated there. Weird.

By the way:
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source new!
ir‧re‧gard‧less  /ˌɪrɪˈgɑrdlɪs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ir-i-gahrd-lis] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adverb Nonstandard. regardless.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1910–15; ir-2 (prob. after irrespective) + regardless]


—Usage note Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements ir- and -less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective, irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including on occasion educated speakers, may do so from a desire to add emphasis. Irregardless first appeared in the early 20th century and was perhaps popularized by its use in a comic radio program of the 1930s.