Apr 13, 2007

Friday The Thirteenth Poetry Challenge Evil Blob Thing From Outer Space!

My first stab at Mona's Poetry Friday challenge, even tho I'm stabbing with prose and not rhyme nor reason. Hopefully I will, like a fine wine, turn into vinega...no wait...


Bittersweet

Once upon a time,
Because all the best stories start that way
I found a pair of wings
in a bicycle shop
in Damascus.

I was going to buy them; I could
imagine all the wonderous things
I could do
all the heroic tasks
I could complete
with a set of wings all wax
and bronze wires
and satin feathers:
Kittens rescued from high branches.
No more falling on my arse.
Flying with my love across moonlight skies--Uncle Einar
given breath and life and vibrant heart-pounding love.

I left them there,
and walked home.

I knew I couldn't meet
their price
just yet.


Mona, I sincerely hope you get to feeling better. Be strong, and when you can't be strong, remember that there are people around you who love you a great deal who will be your strength when you have none.

2 comments:

Mona Buonanotte said...

Oh, this is wonderful! I can feel the lift in my shoulders from the wings I hope to one day purchase.

Irrelephant said...

*s* Glad you liked it, and doubly glad you're feeling better.