Apr 30, 2007

Just A Thought--

When you go to Hodges' Gardens in Many, LA there's a sign where you pay your entry fee saying "Louisiana/Texas viewpoint! 14 miles view across Texas border!" You're parked on a very tall cliff, itself an unusual thing in Louisian, and you stare out across what looks like a long valley of trees until your eyes give out from the enormity of staring out across what is reported to be 14 miles of Texas.

But my question is this: how exactly do they KNOW that? Did someone stand there at the viewpoint while someone else walked out into Texas with a sign on a big stick, measuring the feet until they dissapeared from sight? Did someone standing on the Texas border just so happen to be holding up a big sheet of cardboard that had "Hello from the Texas border!" at the exact time a viewer in Louisiana was looking that way?

I'm just curious.

7 comments:

meno said...

I like the image of a guy walking away from the cliff with his cell phone and asking the person on the cliff "Can you see me now?"

Irrelephant said...

Wouldn't that be grand? *lol* All the while unreeling a huge tape measure, counting off the miles.

Nancy Dancehall said...

lol...you guys are funny!

Scott from Oregon said...

I always wanted to put up a big billboard on the highway coming from Vegas into California. It would read--

STOP! Do not travel any further. This is where it is estimated California will break, when it falls into the ocean. Have a nice day!

Yeah, good vistas are hard to come by down in your parts. I'd be nervous about them ice caps if I were you...

Irrelephant said...

*lmao* Love it, Scott! Or maybe Schwarzenegger could arrange a huge team of geologists and highway workers to paint giant black and yellow caution lines on each side of the fault, so people would know which side is the Safe Side and which is the Gonna Meet Atlantis Side.

As for stunning vistas...yeah, in a state where the highest point is 400' up they're pretty hard to come by.

Nancy, we're perfectly serious! *somber face*

Anonymous said...

Now you have peeked my curiosity! First what’s up w/ the GRook email I can’t get you a message thru?(The user(s) account is perminately over quota) Next been planning a trip back up to Cen-La. Hoped we could hook up for big cigars and small fish, or something like that. Lastly being a “devoted” follower I linked to Hodges’, have to admit I’ve passed by, but never stopped. Too close to the Bend for me to look at the vistas. BUT what the hell happened on 9/11/06 to close them down indefinitely AND if they are closed why is the admission chart still up on their web page? I really don’t want to get into what you and Jess were doing their, but did you meet anyone there interviewing for a web master job to run their page? As always, more questions than answers. LOL.

Irrelephant said...

Eric, I take it you never got anyone at your new store to type for you, eh? Try the Grook address but use suddenlink.net instead of cox. As for Hodges? Beats me, I just heard it on the radio a few days ago that they were re-opened. Tells you how often I get up Many-way. *lol*