Jun 29, 2007

Man Ray I Ain't

I never learn.

This morning going in to work I deviated from the usual drive to get some gas. And since I pass Union Tank Car's factory along that road I looked into the yard like I always do and saw a perfect line of probably twenty brand new black tank cars, each visibly marked with bright yellow paint, ready to be delivered into service with someone. I make a mental note (again) to call R., my cousin who is a manager of the welding shop or something there to ask him when Union Pacific (it's their rails, so it'd be them) comes to pick them up because it'd make a great photo, all that uniformity and contrast, and went on to get gas and then to work.

Time passes.

I took Rita (my truck, freshly back on her toes after a minor engine repair) back after lunch because the threat of rain is increasing quickly out here, and didn't bring the camera bag. Now that's the thing--I've been carrying my new camera pretty steadily, but held off the last few days because of...you got it, the threat of rain. So on the way in I stopped to pick up a Dr. Pepper for Vulgar Wizard, who has been jonesing for one all week, and I hear a train sound it's horns at the crossing that sits some one hundred and fifty feet away and behind a levee. Got back in the truck to see two UP engines (yellow and black, you see) pulling...

Wait for it...

Everyone together now: a whole line of brand new UTLX tank cars, about twenty of them in a row like cloned black elephants with yellow markings on their hides, shining in what would be perfect lighting for taking a photo at just after one in the afternoon.

Except I didn't think to bring my camera with me.

In the truck.

Damn I suck.

3 comments:

Jean said...

repeat after me: Always take my camera. Always take my camera. Always take my camera. Always take my camera....... 1000x.

sheesh. :)

Scott from Oregon said...

There is always photoshop...

Vulgar Wizard said...

I's sowwy . . . I has Dr. Pepper tho! Thiiiiiinks!