So. Jean, this meme's for you.
Here's the rules thingies.
1. Post the rules for the meme at the beginning of your post.
Okay, I done that.
2. This meme consists of the blogger listing eight random facts/habits about themselves.
This oughta be good. Is truth required?
3. People who are tagged in this post are to write their own post listing their own eight random items and list the rules.
Er...yeah, factual. Gotcha.
4. At the end of the post/meme, list the folks you are tagging and leave them notice of such in their comments.
How about I just throw it open for anyone who is feeling particularly open, sharing or willing to accept the consequences of pouring their fictious hearts out on their blog?
Eight. Cripes. I wish I could go back and find my 101 things post and sort of scalp out of there. *lol*
- I have a profoundly marked Jewish accent, but it was replaced by a soft, barely noticable southern accent by Catholic nuns at my first school by repeated applications of burning cigarettes to my ribcage whenever I said "Oy!" or "chutzpah" or "We killed Jesus!" I'm very proud of my flawless "ya'll."
- There is a part of me that really wants to be offensive, rude, raw and otherwise a ruffian and/or a scoundrel both in public and here on my own little square foot of internets but I'm equal parts too polite and too ashamed of appearing the fool for it to stick. That and I'm enrolled in the FBI's Federal Witness Protection Program so I can't be saying the things I want to in public as they will out me immediately.
- I didn't know until yesterday that it was my maternal grandfather who accidentally set the fire that burned their house to the ground when my mother was a child. The truth of it is almost more absurd than any lie I could make up: He was brushing hot paraffin wax onto the new canvas roof for his schoolbus at the time. Said canvas top was unrolled from the kitchen to the living room. When he went to reheat the bucket of paraffin at the stove the bucket lit on fire, and when he ran to the door to fling the burning bucket out into the yard he sat it down to reach the latch, but it tipped over and onto the canvas, igniting the entire works, which resulted in the house burning to the ground. No one was harmed in the fire, but everything the family owned except for two pet birds were lost.
- I'm certain now that when I was a young boy I was suffering from a borderline case of Tourette's Syndrome. Not the barking and cursing but the obsessive desire for rythmic movements of my extremities. I credit this time with teaching me how to lick my own eyebrows.
- I try my best to not recommend books to anyone, which is something I learned in a book which I will not recommend here even though it's an excellent guide for gentlemanly behaviour. Take THAT, word of mouth sellling.
- Standing here at the middle point of my life I realise I still don't have the foggiest idea of what I want to do with my life. At times I'm terrified that all I'm doing is stumbling along hoping something will happen to point me in the right direction. At other times I'm ready to accept the fact that my life isn't REQUIRED to have meaning other than being a catalyst for someone else to invent the Hugo Gernsback future I've been waiting patiently for all these years. Anyway, I look terrible in plastic sandals and a kilt, and personal helicopters fill me with unreasoning fear.
- One of the brightest days in my life was the day that I finally realised that my Hugo Gernsback Future is already here, though it looks a hell of a lot more like the bastard son of William Gibson and George Orwell, only without the talking pigs and the implanted sunglasses.
- Eight already? Hmmm. I was crushed when as a child I learned that most of the voyages of Sinbad the sailor are just bastardized versions of stories from The Odyssey. The day I realised that Talos the triple iron golem from AD&D's Monster Manual was also stolen from The Odyssey I was even further crushed. The day I realised that Gary Gygax, creater of Dungeons And Dragons was just a fat, obsessive fanboy like myself (only tons richer) made it all better.