Sep 30, 2007

I Honking Love Nature

There's a lot to recommend living in the country. Hearing foxes call to each other in the dusk. Birds of every type and description. Praying mantises, anole lizards, and garter snakes under every bush. And then today; what I've tentatively identified, thanks to the miracle that is the Internet Tubes, a Mottled Grey Carpet Moth. (You can't make that sort of thing up.)




I didn't actually see it until it flew away and landed again, it was that well blended in with the pecan bark it was against. When it changed trees I had to let Weerelephant find it again for me because my eyes simply couldn't pick it out again.

Damn Nature for being so cunning.

5 comments:

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

That's pretty amazing.
It's hard to see, even in the photo! And you found him on the internet... very cool.

I was off chasing bees and butterflies through fall foliage yesterday.
Decent shots of that on my page, but great ones coming next week.


Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Jean said...

wow...

Rayne said...

I don't have to look for nature. It finds me. Yesterday I opened the door to go outside and a moth bounced off my eye. While my eye was open. I felt sort of odd for awhile wondering if there was some sort special process one must go through to remove moth fluff from one's eye, but then I imagine the moth felt even odder after having bounced off of a giant eye.

Irrelephant said...

Scarlett, it took some doing...it never ceases to astound me, the things that people enjoy. And you've never lived until you've sorted through three hundred photos of various moths just so you and your daughter can find out what you just looked at. *g*

Jean, I said that a lot too. *s* I love the infinite variety of answers Nature seems to be able to come up with to avoid being eaten.

Rayne, I'm still grinning over that. I can just imagine your doctor's face... Doc, I've got some moth scales in my eye, what do I need to rinse with? And he prescribes some exotic eyewash specifically for moth dust removal. *lol*

Vulgar Wizard said...

Praying Manti?