Oct 16, 2007

They Grow Up So Fast

Chickens.

You remember the chicken post, right? Remember the photos? Little tee-tiny balls of fluff, some goldenrod yellow and others the black and yellow of a chocolate frosted cake. Peeping, huddling together for security and warmth. The very picture of oozing saccharine sweet Easter Sunday shucks-and-garsh cuteness.



Well, they grow up.



And as you can see, the hand-taming is going well. So well in fact that you cannot enter the back patio where they're being kept without fifteen pair of beady, crazed black eyes turning toward you and a certain frantic peeping and cackling arising from the cage. Filling their food and water containers is an adventure in getting moles, paint spots, hairs or jewelery pecked at voraciously, and if you dare sit down on one of the comfy chairs out there you'll find a whole flock of ladies



(and one wild-eyed young cockrel, now named Coq au Vin)



vying for your attention. Pretty heady stuff if you're a rooster, but not so much if you're looking at the ladies as a source of eggs, protein, and insect pest control.


It's been an interesting six weeks or so, I can tell you that. From day-old peepers that fit comfortably in a six inch square box to what at times looks like a motley and very confused murder of crows and at times sounds like a whole cage full of chickens violently fighting over one very oblivious moth who happened to find himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Work on The Chicken Sedan (not a coupe anymore, you see,) formerly known as the "Chicken Cube," once known as "the coop" has proceeded apace with a watertight roof, three shutters over the windows and a little ramp with sure-foot grips so nobody slips. All that's left now is to finish painting the insides and to finish attaching a perch and to build a tray for under said perch to catch perch droppings and then there's that whole fence thing to be put up, with bird netting to keep the hawks out...ye gods.

One week.

It'll be done in one week. That's become my mantra. One week and they'll be free to roam around, scratch at the dirt, lay eggs and do all those other chickeney things. Cluck. Strut. Eat insect pests. And most importantly, they can stop staring at me with desperate longing in their little eyes to be held and petted.

10 comments:

meno said...

Isn't coq au vin rabbit? My french is abysmal to nonexistent.

Irrelephant said...

Rabbit? Yup, it's rabbit-"cluck cluck," rabbit. *grin*

One of the small handful of benefits of living in Louisiana is that I'm less than two hours away from pure French-speaking country. Coq au vin is an old rooster cooked with wine, a fact which "Vin" has yet to get through his little becombed head.

Mona Buonanotte said...

Home-raised chickens grow to be HUGE. I just bought a couple to eat from a farmer friend of mine, they're the size of small turkeys. And good eatin'...tell Vin he can come over to my house any time and we'll do lunch....

Irrelephant said...

Mona, I noticed today while helping the Mrs. clean the cage that Vin out of all of the Australorps is developing the most beautiful green tinge to the tips of his feathers. I can't wait until he's grown, all big and fat and greenish black. And if he causes trouble, he'll be visiting you via Overnight Express. *grin*

Joan of Argghh! said...

...chicks that are "staring at me with desperate longing in their little eyes to be held and petted"

A man could do worse.

:o)

Irrelephant said...

Joan, that reminds me of a joke (of course, EVERYTHING reminds me of a joke.)

A guy walks into a bar, followed by an ostritch. The bartender asks "Why have you got an ostritch following you?"

The guy replies "See, it's like this. I found a bottle on the beach. I uncorked it, and out popped a genie, who gave me one wish, and I was sorta startled and I'd just broken up with my girlfriend so I wished for a chick with long legs."

Nancy Dancehall said...

Des anybody else remember that commercial from the 70s, with the disco guy saying he has a way with chicks, and as he walks away the camera pans down to the ground behind him and his ontourage of little yellow peepers?

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

So what you're telling me is that you now have teenage chickens....

hee hee...


Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Rayne said...

My mom lives in Georgia now and she just started doing the chicken thing again. (we had a lot of chickens when I was growing up in Ct.)
They are all laying now and she's so proud of them. They are also all trained to sit on her arm. I think she is finally losing what sanity she might have had left.

Irrelephant said...

Nancy, I don't recall that one, but I can well imagine!

Scarlett...er...I guess I am, at that! *lol* I hope none of them ask for the keys to the car.

Rayne, we released the little buggers into their new home today, and all they wanted to do was stick close to us. My sanity? Worn away after six weeks of building coop and yard and etc. *grin* At this point I think I'd almost welcome one just sitting on my arm.