Mar 19, 2008

Damnit, Stop Dying!

First we lose Gygax, the guy who taught us never to trust a Mind Flayer, never bugger a Bugbear and to always make certain you were more intelligent than your Vorpal Blade.

Now, we've lost Sir Arthur C. Clarke. He was the first author I ever actively seeked as a babe-in-the-woods science fiction reader; he's the man who gave us the HAL9000 and Rama and "Childhood's End" and something like over 100 other books, plus things like geosynchronous orbits before such a thing was feasible. He passed on yesterday at age 90, a ripe, good age to die at, but dangit, why not another few years, another few books?

All I can say is Bradbury, you'd sure better be doing your exercises and taking your meds exactly as prescribed. We've already lost Heinlein and Phil Dick and now Clarke, we can't be losing another Grand Master.

6 comments:

boneman said...

Well we will always have Vonnegut and Asimov.

What?

WHAT?!?

oh dang!

Irrelephant said...

See? I'm freaking out here! *lol*

Gordo said...

He's got a book coming out this year, still. Damned if I can find the reference to it, but there's one more in the pipeline. Sigh, only one.

Mona Buonanotte said...

Make 'em stop, Irr! Please! I thought Clarke would live forever...what the hell happened?

Nancy Dancehall said...

I wake up every morning fearing that Ray has gone. I think when he does, the sun will close its eye.

Irrelephant said...

Gordo, I'm sure Amazon will push it pretty hard. Me, I'm going to have to slow down on my reading of his opus so as not to run out anytime soon. *sigh*

Mona, I don't know. The world is coming apart at the seams. All the Masters are dying, all those incredible, star-light words are being taken from us, and I don't know what to do to make it stop. I know none of us lives forever but dangit, why not just one or two?

Nancy, I'm with you on that one. When that magician steps into the great big box and disappears for the last time I'm going to lock myself in my office and weep for a week.