Mar 5, 2008

We Lost A Good One

The man who taught the world that dungeons could be profitable places to lurk in died yesterday.

Gary Gygax, the co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons died at age 69. The man who make it okay to be a geek, made it possible for us to step out of our confusing, sometimes troubled lives into a place where things were as simple as we wanted to make it. Orcs are evil, you're not, and you're the guy with the big sword--no easier equation.

I thought maybe a mind flayer had caught him, or a rust monster had crept up on him while he was standing on a high metal scaffolding, but no, plain old life got him in the end. Not the ending I expected for the man who brought us Elminster the Mage and gave us the Apparatus of Kwalish, the man who turned a few books and some funny-shaped dice into my bible and my chalice. His game helped me sharpen and develop my imagination to what it is today, helped make me a storyteller, helped me touch people's hearts. I haven't played in a very long time but I've still got my books, still have my black cloth bag of dice, and I still know that you never ever poke a dragon in his hoarde.

Resquiat In Pace, Mr. G. You were our paladin.


Gary Gygax Memorial Cat

5 comments:

Stucco said...

Dorkmaster. I actually went to TSR in Lake Geneva when my folks invented a board game about vampires. I got a tour of the TSR offices, but was really only interested in skiing at Majestic.

Nancy Dancehall said...

I heard this morning and my first thought was, "He failed his saving throw."

Gygax got me through college. And high school. *sigh* And, ok, grade school.

Stucco, I think I skiied Majestic. I've been downhill skiing in WI but never CO.

Mona Buonanotte said...

Did you know he was on an episode of Futurama! Along with Al Gore, and what sounds like Stephen Hawking?

http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/cc_insider/2008/03/rip-gary-gygax.html

(Um, yeah, and I can't copy urls into my comments for crap. Help? Anyone?)

Bob said...

I spent many a college weekend playing D&D.

Irrelephant said...

Stucco, you're being a hater. *g* As for skiing? Gah. I'll stick with my pointy dice.

Hah! Nancy, that's excellent! I know I spent a fair bit of my formative years and well into my adult life playing, and no, I don't regret a moment of it. I bought the first boxed set when it still came with the funky green dice and the black crayon to colour in the numbers.

Mona, you RAWK out loud! I've just now been catching up with Futurama, laughing my fool head off. I THOUGHT that bit had something familiar in it (other than a rust monster) but hadn't made the connection completely. As for Hawking, if he could do a cameo as himself on ST:TNG then I'm certain that's him. If nothing else the man has an excellent sense of humour.