Apr 28, 2008

Sometimes I Sits And Thinks,

and sometimes I just sits.



Sometimes I feel like I've lain too long in the forest.

Sometimes the ribbon of echo that unfurls from my core threatens to eradicate me.

Sometimes the tenebrous beauty of a flower makes me faint.

Sometimes I wish for the skin of an elephant, so that I might furl it about my shoulders and charge blindly through the world, staining the cobbles with my soles.

Sometimes I wish for the skin of the air, so that I might pass from this place and be untouched by it.

Sometimes the noise is too much, and I wish I could drive thoughts from my skull like a little boy startling geese on a lake with a single bright shout.

Sometimes the pressure from outside matches the pressure from within, and I inhale...thus.

Sometimes I feel the ponderous weight of my own self-absorbed importance like a mountain carefully balanced upon a bird.

Sometimes I ache for release, like a balloon whose string has slipped from a raven's beak.

Sometimes I feel I have rocked back in my chair until the precise moment that I am about to fall, and that if only I could be distracted for an eyeblink I could swiftly look over my shoulder and see them carefully building the next moment, and the next, and the next, stacking them before me like a deck of playing cards.

How it inflames me. How I wish I could scatter those cards like wheat before a scythe, and in doing so release myself from this prison of blood and gristle and carefully placed footsteps.


Breton was a fool.

6 comments:

Nancy Dancehall said...

Someone needs a little Spring.

Irrelephant said...

Nancy, Spring I got. Temps have been in the mid 80's for weeks now. What I also have is rain. It started last Friday and rained straight through the weekend, locking me indoors with my impotent rage. Weekdays leading up to it and all this week? Gorgeous. Low temps and perfect skies.

Outlook for this weekend? Rain. I feel like a very large wolf on a very short chain.

Joan of Argghh! said...

It's the categories that tell all. I'm LMAO!!

::sigh::

I should be painting again. Yep. That's gonna be a new category in my blog, too. Gonna totally steal it from you.

:o)

Rayne said...

Sometimes I feel I have rocked back in my chair until the precise moment that I am about to fall, and that if only I could be distracted for an eyeblink I could swiftly look over my shoulder and see them carefully building the next moment, and the next, and the next, stacking them before me like a deck of playing cards.
I absolutely love this part.

Irrelephant said...

Joan, it's true. I crashed HARD that night. And you're more than welcome to steal that category. Me, I'm going to have a studio-cleaning, get rid of all the old paintings hanging about and start anew.

Rayne, I'm glad you liked it. That moment in time, that cusp between events...I always thought that if I could just catch Them in the act... *s*

Jean said...

idgety-fidgety, ready to explode, needing something new...
yup.