Sep 4, 2008

Louisiana After The Storm!*

Hi guys!

Long story to come, right now the short story. We survived intact at home, power was restored last night around 8:30 pm so I have A/C again, which means I can sleep again. Lost a refrigerator and two freezers worth of food, going to buy a generator soonest. The house is unscathed, the chicken coop even made it through without a scratch, tho plenty of water got in. No more Chicken Evacuations. I can't say the rest of the CenLa area survived as well--big chunks of the neighborhood and city are still flooded in places and missing power, fuel and ice (not to mention generators and common sense.)

I've even got a few interesting post-storm photos to share, but since my home cable and telephone services are still dead I'll have to beg your patience for just a little longer. Unfortunately everything at the office is working, including the internet AND the corporate intranet. Also unfortuantely the front doors here at my desk let in gallons of water Monday and the roof leaked badly in back so the whole place reeks of mildew.

Yay home health.

Did I mention it reeks up here?

_____________________
* With apologies to Max Ernst for maligning the title of one of his premier works.

7 comments:

Rayne said...

Ugh! This sounds like a major mess! Two freezers worth of food? So not good. And things reeking on top of it. So not fun.
I'm glad all of you are doing okay though and I rejoice with you in having A/C again. I couldn't imagine La. in the summer without A/C.

Gordo said...

Whew! You made it! I presume insurance will cover the food? That's not cheap.

Mildew's not good for you, my friend. Take it easy at work.

Jean said...

Thanks for checking in.
Losing all that food...ouch!
We've already got another one to keep an eye on. Maybe it will swing it's way up to Rhode Island or somewhere. We should share, right?

Irrelephant said...

Rayne, I have to endure LA sans A/C about once a year, usually right around this time. Surprisingly, this was the worst I've ever had to endure. I'm more accustomed to a few hours, not a few days, but right now I feel bad for the folks (like my in-laws, currently refugees at my house) who STILL don't have power or phones. We got it BAD.

Yah Gordo, we get a one time claim of $500 for lost food. I'm thinking that'll take care of food and a downpayment on a smallish generator. No more storm-induced lack of A/C for me, thanx!

You're welcome, Jean! I know a few of you guys have a good grasp of geography, and a few of you live in Tornado State. I don't know how folks like you and Joan ever manage. Me, I'd eventually go crazy and move to Montana. *lol*

Mona Buonanotte said...

Glad you and the chickens are okay!

Jim Cantore? That guy? Wherever Jim Cantore is, trouble is sure to follow.

Nancy Dancehall said...

Glad to see you made it through the storm. So no flying chickens, huh? :-)

My fridge died last week too. Out of solidarity with yours, I guess.

Irrelephant said...

Mona, if he comes ashore for Ike I've already made up my mind to drive down there and shove him into Big Lake. With a couple of his cameramen and cameras tied to his ankles.

And maybe the Weather Channel truck, too.

No flying chickens, Nancy! Not even a tear in the bird netting. Needless to say I was flabbergasted!

A sympathy death? How sweet! And really, how needless. *wink*