Sep 1, 2008

Oh Crap.

Jim Cantore is currently broadcasting from Houma.

If you've ever watched a single ten-minute snippet of The Weather Channel you know who Jim Cantore is. He's a freaking storm magnet. Wherever Jim Cantore goes the storm follows, leaving a trail of complete and utter destruction. Jim Cantore leaves footprints, but they're invariably wiped away by hundred and fifty mile an hour winds, thirty feet of floodwater, lava flows or tornadoes riding piggyback on hurricanes.

Jim Cantore is currently in Houma, La. For those of you who don't know, there's really only two salient facts you need to know about Houma other than it's pronounced HO-muh.

  1. Houma is about fifty miles off the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, just west of center of the state.
  2. I was born in Houma almost 41 years ago.


As I stated before, where goeth Cantore, there goeth the storm. Jim Cantore is the embodiment of city-wide eradication. He's everyone's favourite doomsayer, and it's his presence that brings doom. Lots of doom. Truckloads of doom. Oodles of doom.

Jim Cantore is about to get the city of my birth wiped off the face of the Earth.*

___________________
* I swear, Cantore, if you come any further north I'm going to go out, storm or no and hunt you down. I'm not about to lose my house (and my chickens) just so you can get a good action shot.

8 comments:

Daisy said...

I still fail to understand the reason to throw anchors and sub-anchors (of tv shows, not ocean liners) into the middle of the storm just so we can see some wind and rain in the background. They could do that in-studio with a fan and a bucket of water.

Ann Curry of the Today Show is in Houma, too. As she gives me the willies, I'm okay if she and Jim just fly away together in a mobile home.

meno said...

Maybe Jim will get carried off by a twister?

We can only hope.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Ain't skeerd. Yet...

Just look east to the atlantic water vapor loop and watch the 4-ring circus out there.

Nancy Dancehall said...

Run! Run for your life! He's after you!

Irrelephant said...

I think it's that we've become so accustomed to having news on demand and on tap that we have to have something, anything, even if it's Jim Cantore standing beside a shrimp boat. Gah. I can only hope he'll be flying away soon. heh.

meno, it's my fervent hope and desire. Or maybe if a shrimp boat falls on him, that'd rock too.

Joan, I's been watching those other, what, seven storms? *s* But I know you're a veteran of this sorta thing--you can't live in Florida more than a year without being one. Take care please?

Nancy, don't even tease! And if he is I've got a little somethin' somethin' for him.

Gordo said...

He's everybody's favourite tourist, is he?

"Oh, crap! Cantore's here. Better get packing!"

Stucco said...

Schmoopie loves Cantore. Before you dispatch him, let her have some recreational time with the man- a "last wish", if you will...

Vulgar Wizard said...

I'm with Schmoopie on this one. Cone be damned!