Nov 11, 2008

Petrichor

You guys remember that word, right? From high school English.

Petrichor. That enticing smell you get when rain first starts to fall on asphalt. It's been raining here all day, so I missed that first burst of scent this morning but I've watched it rain all day from my office window. It's been nice, and it's been aggravating (try running to the Bone Stretcher's office in pouring rain) and it's been making me wish I had my camera.

Oh wait, I carry my camera EVERYWHERE.


Okay, so I took this last week and not today, but it's hard to pass up sun rays like this.


The closest I'll ever get to driving my Clinical Manager's BMW 7-series. Okay, I lie. I backed it up about a foot to get it out of the roof's run-off so the rain would bead evenly. I felt so elegant.


Probably the closest I'll ever come to those cool high-speed photographs you see in high-end science magazines. Granted THOSE photographers are not squatting on the front porch shooting into the parking lot in driving wind and rain either.

11 comments:

Gordo said...

That's funny, I didn't know there was a word for that smell.

Nice splash, Irr. Harold Edgerton has been an inspiration to me since I picked up a camera. You'd be amazed at how low-tech you can go to do some high-speed stuff. I have a few that I did in high school with a trigger made from string, a piece of a pop can and two nails. :-D

Stucco said...

Petrichor causes cancer, man. Everybody knows that...

Stucco said...

Petrichor causes cancer, man. Everybody knows that...

Stucco said...

Whoa. That was trippy. I think I cloned myself there. I wonder if both of me are married to my wife. Ooooh the possibilities!

Jessi said...

I can't say that's a word I ever learned, but I know it now, lol.

Jean said...

The education here is obviously limitless!

Irrelephant said...

Gordo, you need to see about scanning and uploading those! I'd be quite interested. I'm finding myself more and more here of late wanting to play around with things like that--actions that we see as dynamic things, caught mid-stream. Plumes of smoke, drops of water, birds in flight, and blowing light things like powder or sand from your cupped hands, that sort of thing.

Photography has a way of... 'killing' some things, rendering them stale, but sometimes it gives such breathtaking glimpses into Life.

Yeah Stucco, but you gotta go somehow, might as well go with a damp smile!

I don't know, if it were me I'd probably start critiquing my technique too much to do any good. *lol*

Jessi, I heard it months ago on NPR. They did a story on a gentleman who set as a goal to read the entire Oxford English Dictionary, and did. That was one of his favourite words, and it's stuck with me ever since.

Jean, be careful hun, you might learn something!

Daisy said...

What gordo said.

[plus, I heart the OED]

Maggie said...

Leave it to you to love rain. :)

Nancy Dancehall said...

I want rain!

Irrelephant said...

Daisy, I only wish I had time and determination enough to read it too.

Maggie, I have to love the simple things. The complex things are way over my simple heart. Big things make my head swim, make my heart hurt. I like the little things, the elegant things, like rain storms and roses, splashes and watching the birds.

Nancy, we seem to have lost ours again. Maybe I can box some up next time for you?